Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Worship Over Willpower

Overcoming addiction is not about willpower but worship. I paused when I heard this in my Bible study this morning. But then my eyes opened to the misplaced focus that is me trying to have enough willpower to fight my battles. My focus is much more productive when I surround it in worship. It is kind of like a workday that is slow and the time just drags compared to a day that is all hustle and bustle and you take a breath and look at the clock to see your day is done. When I spend all my energy steeling myself to make the right choices I am essentially waiting for my resolve to slip. When I spend my time worshipping I let my battle be His to win, His to carry me through. Then when I get to a milestone of success I am amazed at how effortlessly the battle was to overcome.

So I am turning up my Echo and setting Alexis to my favorite worship music and letting Jesus be my focus over the things I cannot control in my life and the choices I don’t want to give into. Heck, if I step in a pile of poo along the way it won’t seem like such a failure when the success is not just in the obedience but in the relationship at the center of my worship.

Worshipping is much easier than willpower so I am moving toward my goals at the top of my lungs. If you stop by and our windows are rattling come in and join me at the. Barber jamboree.

In Him,
Joyful
1-8-19

No comments:

Post a Comment