What an opportunity. I must admit that when I looked at airbnbs I was hoping to find an entire house or studio that I didn’t have to share with others. At the very least I wanted to have a private bath so I could isolate myself and not need to interact with others. Well let me tell you that I am so thankful that my cheap side won out and I am in a six bedroom home with five other renters who live very different lives. Mostly we are in our own rooms since we all have internet and laptops or tablets to watch our favorite programs and communicate with our families and friends. But there are those precious moments when we are both in the kitchen getting our morning caffeine fix or creating a meal from the communal refrigerator. It is so much fun when I remember the rule that I have two ears and only one mouth and I actually listen more than I talk in these moments.
Some are here for only a week and others will be here for a few months but each of them has a unique story that I would never have received if I was not right where I am. So far I have met aa divorced iron worker who is here to be near his four year old daughter, a 3rd year medical student who thinks psychology and pediatrics are his future, a CIA guy, a merchant marine and my favorite is an almost eighty year old, German lady who overshares and adores her long haired dachshund Cocoa. What a treasure each of my interactions have been in this home away from home. It is the perfect blend of time alone and time with others. I can’t wait for Ron to arrive tomorrow to meet my housemates. That we will be here for another six weeks means I will get a glimpse in the lives of others whose stories I can not even imagine.
My sister and I sometimes question how we can be so different when we came from the same parents and were raised together. This is my dream come true to meet and get to know strangers. It would be her worst nightmare having to share space with strangers. It floods me with joy that we have empty bedrooms to share with a traveling nurse and a summer doctorate student or whoever needs a place next. Teri could hardly stand it when the Hospice nurse and aids were in her home to help with our Mom. She is so much more private than I am. The good news is we can both love each other and live our lives in a way that is comfortable for each of us. No judgement just acceptance with an occasional shake of our heads wondering how we are so different.
So here I sit snuggled under my blanket on the couch with my coffee on the coffee table. Right where it should be I might add. Having this opportunity to have a window into the lives of others and the added joy of sharing a bit of my life story. It is my greatest gift to have been able to be a mom, a teacher, a wife, and a Christian. My story is my testimony and sharing my heart and receiving theirs is a treasure I never even knew I was missing. These will not likely be lifetime relationships but they are stones in each of our paths that we can smile and remember.
In Him,
Joyful
2-10-20
WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE #668
3 days ago
No comments:
Post a Comment