My heart overflows at Heather’s kind words and her allowing me to be Noni to her family.
Unforeseen Gifts
Years ago I was going through a hard time in life and I was just gazing blogs trying to figure out life, see if I was alone, or if I was normal, and I came across a blog, it was a mother, who had lost her son tragically, the details are her own to share, not mine, so I sat and read and read and read, I laughed, I cried, I prayed for her and her family, I’d pause my reading and promptly get back to it, when I finished the entire blog, I noticed she was from Los Alamos, what? From my tiny town, how had I never heard this story, of met this woman of huge faith? I left a comment on her blog and began to follow it. I’m not sure if it was months or a year later I was at a class and she finally told me who she was, there she was this woman, who I knew so much about and yet who didn’t know me, but literally wrapped me up into her arms and just loved me. Our relationship became profound, she became my chosen mother, as I just lost my own, and gradually she became our NONI, she just became our family, and we felt loved in a time I had lost my identity, by losing own my mother, she became our heart, we shared our lives and struggles and triumphs together in ways that helped us know each other, to our core and for that I was thankful.
Years later I would lose my own son, and there was my angel, my NONI who didn’t call me, who just somehow found out and at mid night showed up and spared her own grief to love us, to help us, to try and ease every burden that was so near and dear to her own heart, but she showed up, a gift to us I never thought I would have needed.
Often I have pondered in this, how she came into my life, how God knew I’d need her long before I did, how he knew my kids would need their Noni adventures, how I would need nothing and everything from her in a moment, but mainly he knew she would love us at our absolute worst and she did.
Just a reminder for everyone so often people walk into our lives as strangers, but stay as friends and family, we have to be open and vulnerable to these people to receive their gift of friendship into our lives, which can be difficult. I’m grateful I did, and grateful for our Noni who selflessly taught us to love people were they are, even when it’s messy!
No comments:
Post a Comment