Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Kylie Dog is not Well

My sweet Kylie is sixteen which is extremely old for a Maltipoo. Yesterday I took her to the vet for an emergency visit. The news I got was not surprising but still hard to swallow. She has a collapsing trachea, enlarged heart, poodle mouth/ bad teeth, bronchitis along with evolving blindness and deafness. So I sat in my car crying as they did more bloodwork and X-rays. Ron and I decided to go ahead with getting her bad teeth pulled to make the rest of her life a bit more comfortable. So Friday may be her last day if she doesn’t survive the anesthesia. She has been such a huge part of my life for so long, I can’t imagine not having her beside me for coffee and Bible study every morning.

This has been a year of loss. Losing my Mom in July then my cousin, Beth, in January was so tough. Some would say the thought of losing Kylie shouldn’t compare because she is just a dog. The truth is our pets are our family and a part of our daily lives. Kylie has sat on my special ed students laps during state testing to keep them calm and been here right beside me when I just need a cuddle. She is my constant companion and only punishes me for a short while when I am gone too long. We have tried to keep her downstairs in one of her four beds but she insists on coming upstairs if I am upstairs. Yes, she has a bed in every room of our house as well as one outside. You never know when an old lady needs a soft place to sit. It comforts me that she moves from room to room with me throughout our day.

Ron and I decided that I will sleep downstairs on the couch until Friday to keep her from using the stairs until the antibiotics can heal her lungs. I can’t imagine life after Kylie anymore than I am struggling to not have my Mom here with me. But I know her sweet days are getting shorter. For now we will pamper her however we can and thank all who love her for their love and care over her lifetime. She may be getting a few extra treats just because she is not a dog to eat only dog food but a part of the family. Bits of hot dog seem to be an especially favored treat. Mom’s last meal was a rice krispy treat and fudge. I wonder if Kylie would like some sweets?

In Him,
Joyful
4-29-20

2 comments:

  1. Poor baby. I remember when she was just a little one and you brought her to the classroom. How the kids loved her. Prayers for all during this trying time. I know you've had more than enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ❤ Dear sweet Kylie, I love her. She is a very special soul and I have been blessed to know her. Please give her a snuggle for me. We send our love and comforting vibes to you all.❤

    ReplyDelete