Wednesday, May 13, 2020

I Choose Compassion Over Being Right

This is a time we can begin coming out of our homes slowly and cautiously around our country. A few months ago we would not have imagined a coming out like this since we never would have imagined a global stay at home like this. So each state, each country is handling the return to moving about differently. We can shake or head and believe that everyone is doing it wrong. Believe that if only they would all do it in agreement with us that things would turn out right. But the truth is in this pandemic like most situations in life, we each only hold a small knowledge about how to proceed. My hope is that we can not put on our judgement hats over our masks. I don’t know about you but I am at my worst when I am puffing my chest believing I am the all knowing one and others should stop thinking and just agree with me.

We spoke to our kids in Washington who have the most adorable newborn, Felix. Their fear for their son seems over the top to me. They want to hunker in to protect this precious life. My fear is that staying inside without contact with others, accomplishments or income is going to slam them into deep depression. Who am I to say how they should react to this worldwide pandemic? How do I know how I would have reacted to this circumstance if my children were not grown?

The truth is I am cautious about social contact but not overly fearful of getting this virus. I am probably naive and would likely struggle for breath if I got it kicking myself for not taking it more seriously. Each of us is reacting differently because of our backgrounds, life position, and so many other factors. What we don’t want to do is become those judgmental people who are constantly condemning how others are reacting and acting.

My thought has been that is government allows us to open up then we have free choice to individually choose how we re-enter life outside our homes. But someone pointed out to me that if communities open up those who want to stay home may not have that choice. Hmmmm. There are always more ways to look at things than we think of. Keeping my heart away from putting too much faith in my own opinion will be tough. It will be what I need to check frequently so I don’t get caught in the trap of believing my own hype. My hope is to be compassionate and draw others to me not build a bigger divide than social distancing with my attitudes. Hard to imagine but none of us is always right or looks at choices the same. Although we can’t be all knowing we can be all accepting of others.

In Him,
Joyful
5-13-20

No comments:

Post a Comment