He fell.
I used this simple sentence so often to teach the importance of details to a writing. Then I added My eleven year old son fell. Until I finished it with the detail that he fell eighty feet off a cliff and survived. Woah! That convinced my students that you need those descriptors to draw the readers in. So fast forward to yesterday.
I fell.
Yes, I fell with my granddaughter beside me when my shoe caught on a raised place on the sidewalk we were walking on. The truth is I went down so hard that I think I injured a rib. It scared Elissa so much she almost called 911. Shaken up we both decided to abandon our plans to have a special day together for me getting prone and icing up my tender spots. Luckily, we were able to get the perfect wedding gift before my bed called me back to Nana’s house.
I feel lucky that I am not a person who falls often. It is frightening as well as jarring to the whole body. That saying that you feel like you have been beaten with a baseball bat applies today. But the only real injury seems to be my ribs. Since there is nothing they can do for even broken ribs I am going to just be patient and try not to complain too much.
Today is Pailey’s wedding day and it is going to be so beautiful to watch my sister’s precious granddaughter marry the love of her life. The sadness of today will be underlying as each of us wishes Teri could be here to enjoy this lovely day. How we will miss her being a part of this celebration. She is missed each and everyday but today will be extra hard for her Allen who should be sitting beside her not sitting alone. Their own wedding was almost fifty years ago. They were inseparable for all those years. We will all keep our grief in check as we allow this to be Pailey’s day of joy.
So I fell and I grieve. But I also will rejoice in this day of love and new beginnings. It helps that my cousins, Jimmy and Shawna, are staying at Nana’s with us. Tanner and Bethany are on their way from Los Angeles. It is going to be a most enjoyable day. I just will try not to laugh too much with this new rib situation.
In Him,
Joyful
I fall and I grieve but I also rejoice. I understand what you are saying. The wedding will be a time of rejoicing and celebrating the new couple, even while important people are missing.
ReplyDelete