My Mom shared a lot of wisdom in the form of advice. Some things were life giving and some were simple but made life a bit smoother just for implementing them. So I thought I would share a favorite or two......
Cooking~
Mom said always take out all your ingredients for a recipe before you start. Then put them away as you use them. Then if you get distracted you will know where you are at and you end with a clean kitchen.
Mom believed it is always best to say yes. Once I called my Mom and asked her if she would drive from Arizona to my house in New Mexico and then we would drive Natalie to Tennessee. Sounds fun but this was a Wednesday and we needed to drop Natalie off on Sunday. So she had to leave early the next morning and by the way she needed to pick up five year old Elissa on her way so she could go with us. She was at my house by noon Thursday and we headed out. We even drove her car.
Mom never asked anyone to work while she sat. She said that she needed to work harder than anyone else so they saw that she not only appreciated their help but got her hands dirty right along beside them. I tried my best to never have my kids doing chores while I rested. Even now when Ronnie B. is doing a project, I help him or work on something else around the house.
Mom enjoyed life. She was shy around those she didn't know but when she knew you she was the life of the party. She always dressed up for Halloween and had a spare room that was jammed full of all her Christmas decorations. She won contests in her town for her over the top glitter.
Mom knew how to relax. She loved to read and loved resting in Oak Creek. One of her favorite places to read was in her bed with the creek sounds flowing in her window.
Mom was not a wonderful cook but she was a baker of delicious desserts. She had more sweet treat recipeds than anything else. She could cook don't get me wrong but baking was her passion and eating her creations was another joy. I am gifted with the recipes that I still make for my grandkids when they are allowed sugar. Yes, times have changed as well as diets.
Mom never complained about her circumstances but moved through grief and illness with a smile. She was the ultimate silver lining lady. She lost my dad way too young, went through cancer and other health issues. When she went in for her masectomy she called Teri and I over and whispered to us. " I'm losing five pounds in the next hour and you two aren't. " Then she smiled her devious little smile. There was nothing else she could have done that would put us more at ease about her facing this serious operation.

No comments:
Post a Comment