Monday, September 6, 2021

Silently Listening to Connect as a Friend not a Fan

 I don't want to be a fan of Jesus but a friend to Jesus.

 

Any of us can know all about someone or something but that does not make us friends. I know a lot about Russel Wilson who is quarterback of my Seahawks. I know who he is as a football player, a family man and his heart for children in health crisis. But knowing about him does not make us friends. Rich Wilkerson said that if he sends letters to someone he is a fan of it doesn't make them friends. Unless you have communication and get to know them personally you are a fan not a friend. Knowing about is not knowing another. You have to listen as well as speak. Simple.

His advice that we spend some time in silence. No podcast or youtube preachewr in the background. No worship music or kindle book but just be silent. SILENT and LISTEN have the same letters in them. So to have a conversation and listen to Jesus I need to spend time silent so I can hear what He has to say to me. His voice may not be audible but He can speak directly to my heart.

Silence is a practice I need to use in other relationships to keep them strong. When I am talking rather than listening, I am not growing the connection with another. We have all had and honesly been that friend that never shuts up. It is not enjoyable or fulfilling. So I need to practice the art of silent listening in all areas of my life. That does not mean I am silent and thinking what I want to say next in response but just silently absorbing the words and feelings of others. I don't know about you but I have some work to do in this area. So for now I will close my laptop, rest my fingers and be still for a few moments. 

In Him,

Joyful

9-6-21

1 comment:

  1. True listening is a wonderful gift we can give to people, and wonderful to receive too. Yes, I aim to be silent and listen to Jesus, as you suggest.

    ReplyDelete