Our home is full of blooms and leaves this morning. No, Ronnie B. didn't buy me flowers. What happened was that last night was the first freeze of the season. So we brought all our outside plants inside. waht a gift to see them as I woke this morning. We have a planter box in our dining room and it is filled with the same plants that we enjoyed on our backporch when the days were less chilled. I love how it makes me feel. Ronnie B. designed and constructed a metal bottom for the planter so our wood floors will not be ruined. It makes me smile as he "engineers" at home in retirement.
We are thankful for living where we have all four seasons. Just when we are getting tired of the heat, fall cools us down. Spring arrives just when we are done with bundling up to go outside. I know there are those who enjoy living where it is warm year round. But we look forward to the changing seasons.
So this morning as I sit with my hot coffee and blanket doing my Bible study, I am thankful for the chill in the air. Now we are setting aside our flip flops for m boots and digging out sweaters from the back of our closet. It is like saying hello to comfortable friends after time apart. Soon it will be time to drag out our Christmas clothes that make our kids so happy to see us wear. The changing seasons are different now that we are retired and don't have to go out on early mornings that are uncomfortably cold or work out in the heat that comes with summer. We have the luxury of adjusting our tasks to the more comfortable times of the day. We are glad that we can let the sun thaw our windshields rather than scraping or sweeping off the snow. That reminds me that we need to set appointments for midday these next few months as we set them for the cooler mornings the past few months. Ahh, the gift of flexibility that comes with being in our sixties with job schedules behind us.
Ron's mom always gave her kids a great, big spoonful of castor oil when the season changed. I think I will pass on that this year and every year. Instead I think I will make a pot of chicken noodle soup and homemade bread to make our home smell as wonderful as the plants have made it look. Just what the day calls for.
In Him,
Joyful
10-13-21

No comments:
Post a Comment