Do you ever feel like an expert on something and realize that it comes from a lifetime of experiencing that thing? Well not really an expert but able to talk about and understand the ins and outs of a thing. That is how I feel about football. When we were first married I decided to watch football with my Ronnie B. So I even picked my team, the Seahawks. It was an extremely scientific decision...........I checked out all the quarterbacks derrieres and determined that Jim Zorn won hands down. That was back in 1976 the Seahawks first year in the NFL So I am a founding, faithful fan. At least that is how I label myself. The Seahawks struggled and didn't win a Superbowl until 2014. That is a lot of years of losses.
Ron and I have been watching a lot of football this year and it makes me smile that I understand and can chat with him about what is happening on the field. That took a lifetime of watching to have the essence of the game sink in. It also took Ron coaching me on what is happening on the field. My decision to learn enough about football to actually enjoy it was not for the love of the game but to share the Sunday afternoons with my man. Ron enjoyed football so I enjoyed watching it with him. My understanding of the game served me well when our boys began to play Pop Warner as youngsters and all through their high school games.
Trust me Ron and I aren't attached at the hip and have many interests separate from each other. Although I love hearing Ron's archeology talks on stone calendars, I don't stomp around at sites studying them. Ron doesn't read this blog but he supports that I write. He knows I will share a post with him that he would appreciate like I am glad when he shares a stone calendar find.
It makes me sad when I hear wives complain about Sunday football. I'm not saying that they should sit and watch like I did but they can use the time to do what they choose to do. Put down the honey do list and let your man do what he enjoys. After all, don't we want the opportunity to have coffee with a friend or go shopping even thought we seriously don't need another purse. A wise person said we should give what we want to receive. Allowing others to spend their free time doing what brings them joy is how we get that same freedom ourselves.
So don't tell anyone how I became a Seahawks fan but do tell them why I sat down next to Ronnie B. that first Sunday in our youth and continue well into our sixties. Being together on the couch shouting at the bad coaching and refs connects us. Football watching snacks are a draw as well as our togetherness. Stop by and we will feed you and cheer on your team. Unless they are playing one of ours.
In Him,
Joyful
10-14-21
No comments:
Post a Comment