Ronnie B. and I walked four miles round trip to get breakfast yesterday. I love to walk when it is not so hot. Fall is such a wonderful time of year even for those of us who don't like pumpkin spice. One regret I have is that we didn't enjoy the slow pace back during the busy season of raising kids. My advice to young parents or should I say the parents of young children is to take time for each other. All the schedules, appointments and to dos will still be there if you take an evening walk or have a scheduled date night for just the two of you.
Now that we are empty nesters there is plenty of time to sit on the back porch swing or hop in the rv and take off. Funny side note..........our tire cover is often photographed. It says Adventure Before Dementia. I just bought a bumper sticker that has a camper and says We Sleep Around. Hmmmm that second one may be funny but could bring unwanted attention.
The pace of life slowed down during 2020. Calendars were set aside and families were snuggled up at home whether they wanted to be or not. My hope is that the next generations of parents will slow their lives enough to swing at the park, have other families over for barbecues, or make a weekly game night minus electronics. Sometimes I think electronics zap our connection time more than anything else. Heck, even our Ring doorbell can interrupt a conversation as we quickly look at our camera's live feed to see who is at our door. Although I am lousy at it, I do believe we all need to be on an electronic diet for the sake of being present with those we are physically with. It makes me sad to see parents out at dinner with their kiddos both with their phones at the center of their attention. The table is silent and so sad as even the kiddos have their tablets rather than conversation. We are input people too often now at the expense of real time visits.
Sorry this seemed to turn from the joy of our walk uptown to a lecture on our devices. Perhaps I got carried away just wanting everyone to take the time to be together like Ronnie B. and I are able to be in this phase of our lives. Here is to you having a day full of eye contact and conversation over a pumpkin spice latte or a simple American like me.
In Him,
Joyful
10-3-21

No comments:
Post a Comment