What an honor to be called on to walk beside one another. Please don't ever feel like it is a burden to reach out and lean on someone else. It is an honor, a gift, a joy to be that person who is who you need in a moment of breakdown. Even as simple as being a reference to someone means they consider you one of their people and that is such a powerful reminder of the connection you share.
When I lost my son it didn't matter that Jenn had surgery the same day he died. I walked in the church a few days later and there she sat passing out bookmarks with his sweet smile on them. She was there for me when she should have been focused on her own pain. Yesterday, she called and said she was taking her broken son to rehab a few hundred mikes away. I was sitting having coffee with Ron and she picked me up and off we went. I am beyond grateful that she let me be a part of that successful trip to sit in the backseat and pray. It would have been easy for either of us to not ask and include. After all, she had just had cancer surgery. I had just returned from saying good bye to my son-in-love after he stepped in front of a train. Even in our broken times we have the heart, the faith and the need to continue being there for one another. It is not a burden it is a gift. Was it a long day and not the day either of us had planned? Yep. But what a blessing that we know that no matter the circumstances we will drop everything and come together so we are not alone in our turmoil.
Good news is our sweet Tyler had the courage to step through the doors to his recovery journey. This sweet man has been the one who always gives me heart rocks like my sweet Ryan did. I gave him a wooden heart to remind him that he does not only need support but gives of his own heart all the time. Addiction can make one feel so selfish but the reality is Tyler has a huge generous heart. Jenn and I reminded him that he was not just going to be in this treatment for himself. Everywhere Ty goes he gives to those around him. He is that person who would give others the last nickel in his pocket or the bread that his own stomach cries out for.His season of homelessness and chaos has just taken a step in a new direction. He is putting himself first and our job is to trust him with his future. Hands up that it is between Ty and his faith to pull him up. Jenn and I can't save our adult children. This is not making sure their coat is buttoned as they go out in the storm. This is beyond our fixing. So we cling to each other and our faith. God loves him more than we do and sees the big picture of Tyler's life and purpose. That is hard to accept since our hearts overflow with love and wanting to set this all right with as little pain as possible. Turning our hands up in release is how we will let go and trust.
Please never think someone else has too much on their plate to be there for you. The bonds of living life together is God's greatest gift. Would I change yesterday so there were fresh baked datenut pinwheel cookies in my kitchen? Nope, not for a second. I would change the fact that I missed the road to Santa Fe and drove over thirty miles toward Texas rather than heading north but even that made us laugh and added a memory we will share forever.
I trust my Jesus and the incredible people He has put in my life and my heart. What a joy to know I never have to walk alone and am humbled to be the person to walk beside those who walk with me.
Lockstep a way of walking so close that the our legs must keep perfect step with one another. Following each other as closely as possible.
What a life to live upheld by those we hold up. Best Christmas gift~Tyler is on his way.....
In Him,
Joyful
12-24-21
These are beautiful and helpful words; we can help others and be open so we can also receive help. I am praying Tyler will become and remain sober in the days and years ahead. Merry Christmas to you and your family.
ReplyDelete