Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Do it Scared! Move Self-Doubt Aside to Make Room for Self-Confidence

 Do  it scared!!


Could you fall and fail? Yep. What then? Get up and do it again. After a few fails you just may be able to do it confidently and step through your self doubt. Few succeed on their first attempt. But with practice and persistence we just may surprise ourselves with talents we woke up from their resting place in the 'I can't, so shouldn't even try' covers. Comfort zones is not where we grow. Our options to not even try will never get us to the next level. Do it scared! So now I need to share three questions Christy Wright shared this morning that I am still pondering.

Where have I been playing scared?

Why should I trust in God? List how He has already been working.

What is one thing I can do today to step out and surprise myself? 


I would change this from creativity to confidence or action or moving forward or risking failure. There is a truth that the first time is always the toughest and includes fear. Whether it is speaking publicly, training for a race, it takes courage.  Or if it is something that we shouldn't do like smoking a first cigarette or stealing a pack of gum. The first time causes us to hesitate but as we act again and again our comfort level grows. That is why we need to avoid the first step down a path we don't want to go down while stepping out where we do. 

Do it scared! It is kind of like 'act as if ' to begin with you feel like a big faker acting like you are capable of whatever it is you are acting. For me it is hard to ask someone if I can sign the book I wrote over a decade. It always makes me feel puffed up to suggest they would want my signature or even want to read my heart words. But I am getting better at not apologizing for the gift of writing God gave me and boldly signing my book. This has not been easy. I definitely had to do it scared to begin with and act as if I was confident. The reaction from others has proved that signing a personal note matters to those who will potentially read my journey. Today a lady gave me her book when I offered her mine. She said casually that when she gets back we will have a proper book signing. What!? I don't even know what that means. Do I need to put on makeup and high heels? Not that I own any high heels. It just sounded so formal and well proper. I am going to do it scared. Who knows, there just may be other proper book signings in my future. God knows so I will trust.

Today I will sign my book for Joan and she will sign hers for me. The other answer to Christy's third question is that today I can look up how to send my book/testimony to christian women I follow and see where God takes my story of losing my son to suicide. I have been stuck believing that I just couldn't find their addresses. So I haven't even tried. Time to do it scared and put my heart words out there to a bigger audience where God can use His embracing me to encourage others that they are not alone. 

What is it that you need to do scared today to push away the self-doubt and bring in the first steps of self-confidence? Just know I am praying for your courage to take that first step. I will be believing if you fall and skin your ego, that you will get up, brush yourself off and try again. 

In Him.

Joyful

1-18-22 


No comments:

Post a Comment