Wednesday, January 12, 2022

He Fell, I Fell Again or Barefeet and Warm Water Solve Everything

 He fell.

This is a sentence I used to teach writing and we added words to this sentence to give it a written picture one word at a time. Eventually the sentence would include all the details of Tanner, my son,  at eleven years old fell eighty feet off a cliff into a fire and survived. All those details took the sentence from a thought that was not particularly pulling the students in. After all, people fall all the time. People don't fall eighty feet and survive. Those details are what got them on the edge of their seats with so many more questions. I love that this example was a launchpad to their writing in more vivid detail. 

So let me say that I fell. Yes, yesterday I fell. I fell out of our rv as I was getting it ready for our trip but I am okay. Here are the details. I was working in camper and took off my shoes as I crawled up to make the bed up above the cab. Then I was chilly and I had just come across a pair of socks that said One Cool Mom, a gift from my daughter. Now I must let you know that I am not a sock wearer. Barefoot is my choice almost always. Then Nina called and asked for a Covid home test. I crawled off the bed and took a sock slippery step out the rv door. Down I went in a most ungraceful way. Nina was just walking up the driveway so she was of course scared and concerned. After laying face down for a couple moments, I assured her I was not injured other than a skinned knee and being jarred. She turned off the heater for me and brought me my phone and made sure I got into the house. 

Later I realized if the timing was different or the results broke a bone I may have been laying on the chilly driveway unnoticed. Oh am I glad for the timing and that I was not injured. Last summer I fell on a sidewalk when I caught my toe and broke two ribs. That resulted in ten weeks of pain with every breath. Yesterday, my fall was not going to impact me for more than a couple days. A hot bath, Advil, and resting the evening away helped me wake up this morning with only minor sorenenss. 

This trip Ron and I are leaving on later this morning includes going to Truth or Consequences to soak in hot springs. Perfect!!! Elissa made me promise I will live a sock free life from this day forward. Ron would love to convince me to live life in shoes. Let's face it that is never happening. I am after all a valley girl from west of Phoenix where I walked on 120 degree asphalt as a child. These elephant feet that can shovel snow without shoes have been earned. So socks out, shoes only when absolutely necessary. After all, I didn't fall barefoot now did I? 

So now I am caffeinated and off to pack so I can rest while Ronnie B. drives us to warm water and warmer temperatures down south. Perhaps I will pack a bottle of wine as well.

In Him,

Joyful

1-12-22

No comments:

Post a Comment