Thursday, March 24, 2022

Sharing with the Few not the Masses

 There is a time and a circumstance to answer with I'm blessed, everything is great, or it's all good. I don't need to tell an acquaintance in the grocery store my heartaches and heartbreaks. What I struggle with is knowing that it is not dishonest or necessary to share with everyone. The handful of people who I do share my heart with is enough. Their love and support is what lifts me and guides me through life's messiness. Some call it your sisterhood or your tribe. These are the ones that you don't mask what is going on in your life and how it is affecting you.


These are the people who we may or may not talk to everyday. It may be that we go months without contact but the truth is that they are just a phone call away when we need them. Likewise, they know that they can reach out to us screaming or snot crying and we will listen and punch someone in the throat when necessary. 

It was never intended for us to live life on our own. Trusting others is key to getting through. Sharing with anyone and everyone is not helpful and winds up just keeping us in our pity party.. But oh the strength in releasing to a good friend who not only listens but knows your journey. Sometimes they will have direction for us but other times they will just embrace us right where we are at. 

Ronnie B. tells me to remember my filters. Filters Barb filters he will say. Usually when I am being inappropriate more than over sharing. But he is correct in that telling random people my woes is not a good idea for them or for me. It becomes more about attention than connection. When someone asks how it's going, they are not really wanting your whole sad song. So it is okay to just say okay in those circumstances. The real connections are when my people can see it on my face or hear it in my voice that I need to let it all out. 

I'm more than grateful for the handful of people in my life that know all the messy stuff and love me anyway. It is even better that I can trust that they will keep my private~private. Only then can I share the good, the bad and the ugly in my life and know it is safe. That is when filters don't need to be raised. My hope is that they realize that it is not all about me but about us. There are days when my role is to listen and days when I need to spew. That is what gives us both the hope and courage to walk out our lives together. Getting through the tough stuff togeher allows us to belly laugh about the absurdity that can also be life as we live it. 

In Him,

Joyful

3-24-22

No comments:

Post a Comment