Thursday, March 31, 2022

Sisters, Aunts, and Birthday Traditions

                                                Sisters
 

 
These three sisters have hundreds of pictures together. They so enjoyed their adventures together and always documented it with a smile. Today, I am going down to hug my Aunt Judy and take her jacks and a coloring book for her eightieth birthday. She always played both jacks and colored with Teri and I when we were young. Such a good memory. I will get a picture of her and my Aunt Laura but Mom will be smiling from above. What a gift that they chose to snap a pic over and over again. We all should take their lead and take pictures of ourselves and others. It doesn't matter if your hair is combed or your shirt has hot sause on it from the taco lunch you enjoyed. But it is imperative that you refresh your lipstick before you smile. 

It is hard to drive past my Mom's and Sister's exit at Camp Verde knowing that they are no longer there. I am going to see Aunt Judy today because I don't think I am courageous enough to go to her blowout party without them. My sweet aunt completely understands. These two were there when I was growing up and share so many memories that only we share. Next week is my birthday. Last year was the first year not only my mom but my sister was gone. They sent me gorgeous flowers. My Aunt Laura called a couple days ago and said they want to send flowers every year since I won't be getting gifts or phone called from Mom or Teri. They are so sweet. Every year Aunt Laura gives us nail files for Christmas and Aunt Judy doesn't let any occasion go without a card with one stick of gum tucked in. My kids would look forward to that sweet, predictable tradition.

Aunt Laura told me that in ten years when her little sister, Judy, turns ninety, that she will be a 101 and plans to still be driving. Her plan is to live to 120. Somehow I know they will still think of me as their little niece, Barbara. I will be almost seventy-six and hopefully will still have teeth to chew my stick of gum and will enjoy my flowers. Happy birthday Aunt Judy. I love you both so much!

In Him,
Joyful
3-31-22 
 
 FYI I will also enjoy a familiar blessing from Aunt Laura.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment