I can wait one minute. Sweet, two year old Felix is learning to be patient one minute at a time. When he wants things right now we ask him if he can wait one minute. His response is I can wait one minute. He has been taught to say this and is beginning to understand that he will get or do what he wants in a little bit. No timer is set to teach him the concept of one minute. What he is learning is to wait and not need immediate gratification. Oh what we can learn from this little one's waiting. Of course, he would prefer to get that toy or yogurt covered raisin right now. But waiting is a skill that we all need. How we wait is another thing. Felix no longer throws a fit while he waits but is learning to wait in patience.
Waiting takes practice. Even as adults we can see that things will come if we are willing to wait. Avoiding grabbing that cookie does not result in losing a pant size but it is a step into the slimmer me. Journeying through a rough path in a relationship takes patience and courage. Stepping forward honestly with a loved one may push us apart to begin with but build the connection in time. We need to be willing to point out when we see someone struggle. But also receive the truth if someone we love and trust is brave about an area they see us struggling with something. Those moments of openness matters not instantly but eventually. We just need to trust and wait one minute.
Learning doesn't just happen when we sit down and read a book on self improvement but can even come from a two year old. Every time we teach is an opportunity to learn as well. Lissa was in vacation Bible school at about six years old when I heard something that has been a life quote for me since and she is now almost eighteen. JOY~Jesus, Others, then Yourself. I need this reminder over and over that it is not just about me. I surround myself with the word Joy so it is always in my vision. It is even on my car's back window Be Joyful to make me a more patient driver. At least that is the goal. Because after all, if someone cuts me off, I have learned that I can wait one minute and wait the right way.
In Him,
Joyful
6-24-22


No comments:
Post a Comment