Monday, June 6, 2022

There is Grace to Start Over

 

New Today

I've been hard on myself lately
Every morning I feel the weight, mmm
When it's hard to just get out of bed
Tell my heart, 'cause sometimes I forget
That Your mercies are new today
Your mercies are new today, oh
I can rest on Your shoulders
There is grace to start over
Help me rise like the morning sun
Help me see that Your work's not done, oh-oh
When I'm less, than what I want to be
Lord, I need You, to keep reminding me
I kept thinking You were angry
But You were fighting just to hold me
And picked me up every time I fell
If Your love is here to lift me
And Your blood says You forgive me
Show me how I can forgive myself
'Cause Your mercies are new today
Your mercies are new again and again

Oh how I needed these words today. Too often I get in the funk of wallowing in my poor choices. Yesterday, I wrote that I need to have more grace for my daughter but the truth is I need more grace for me. If I want to be Christlike I should be willing to forgive all His children and I am one of His own. I love how Lisa Harper always says too many people think of the Bible as a rule book when it is actually a love story. When I heard Micah's lyric that I can rest on His shoulder it brought me to just what a loving father Christ is. The image of a daddy or papa holding his own precious child on his shoulder cooing in his ear is a powerful one. 
When I think of my own son leaning against Jesus' legs listening to Him share His love with my Ryan, it brings me peace and joy. That is how I envision him in heaven. Just being in His presence and soaking up all the love and acceptance. 
                                                                                                             God wants that for me and for each of us right here in our daily lives. I can't feel His touch without staying close. My hope is to keep shedding what draws me away from this relationship and lean into what connects me to the love and acceptance that is freely offered. It is about relationship not religion. In fact, I get my panties in a twist when someone refers to me as religious. Religion is about a rule book not a love story. Religion also is judging and condemning rather than encouraging and accepting. Don't get me wrong I can certainly      Papa and Millie
 be judging and condemning. I strive to live in love even though I fall short especially with myself and those closest to me. Why is it we are hardest on those we love the most? 
Today I want to hold these lyrics close that mercies are new again and again. Hope each of us can have grace for ourselves and those around us so we can be more like Him. 
In Him,
Joyful
6-6-22 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment