Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Would I Send You a Card? Do I have Your Address? Send Me it Please?


 Write me a letter so I can joyfully skip to my mailbox. Do you even have my physical address or just email and text addresses? It used to be that we were excited to go get the mail to see what Gramma sent or a friend from far away. Today it is advertisements, bills and political throwaways. Let's get each other revved up anxiously waiting for the mailperson rather than dreading their arrival. So here goes........now share yours with me.

Barbara Barber                                                                                  810 46th St.                                                                                          Los Alamos, NM 87544   

A couple years ago my blog sistrer, Terra, sent me a note and unfortunately I lost her address. I so want to send her a copy of my book. To prevent losing another address, I broke down and tearfully transferred addresses to an updated address book. So Terra, send me your address and I will not lose it this time. The tearful part was that so many addresses were of loved ones I have lost. It was difficult not including them in my new book. My phone still contains numbers of my son, my mom, and my sister that I can't seem to delete. So how many have a physical address book? Mine sat dormant for years. Now I hope to begin using it to send little notes to those I love to reactivate my mailbox and theirs. Why do we think that Christmas is the only time for snailmail? 


My loving Aunt Judy has always sent a card to each of us with a single stick of Wrigleys spearment gom tucked inside. Oh how we anticipate that sweet note and treat on our birthdays and anniversaries. Our family has multiplied and what used to be a family of a dozen is now closer to a hundred cards she sends a year. It is her thing and it keeps us connected to her in such a sweet, simple way. 

My thoughtful Aunt Laura never fails to call and sing Happy Birthday even on my parents and sister's birthday. Recognizing that these days are difficult for me as I am missing them is so touching. I look forward to her calls knowing her heart is missing them as much as I am. 


This year on my Mom's birthday I hope to make carmel,  pecan fudge (her favorite) and doorbell ditch my community family with a sweet treat in honor of her.  It is such a joy to run around town leaving sweet treats for others to enjoy. Thinking of them is the real gift but let's face it fudge is always a winner.

The truth is I am a lot like Facebook since I tend to reach out to only a handful of people leaving so many I love unattended. Facebook only shows us friends we are communicating with regularly. Even though our friend list is long we don't see all of their posts.  It seems I need to be more intentional in staying connected to others or time slips by without sharing our lives. So whether it is an actual card in the mail, a touch on social media, a phone call, a doorstep treat or a text, the connecting is what shows that we are thinking of one another. My hope is to be more intentional. For me that means I need to write a list of those I hope to include. Heck, my bright and shiny new address book already has the list I need. Hmmmm do I start with the A`s, the Z`s or somewhere in the middle.

 Here is hoping you hear from me soon.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment