My dad was a man who would throw his head back in laughter. He generously gave of his time, his treasures and believed that his cup would fill back up if he poured it out into others. Dad never became a wealthy man but left this earth with so many considering him a close friend. He was a carpenter by trade and could sink a sixteen penny nail in two strokes of his ever present hammer. Getting his general contractors license benefited those he built custom homes for more than his own pockets. Them being an owner/ builder with his guidance just meant that he didn’t charge for his services. Although Dad didn’t gather wealth and prestige, I would rather be more like him than anyone else I could consider. My Dad was a selfless example of how to live life. His faith that he could give without depriving his own family was the gift he gave me. Believing that there would always be enough to share generously was his life.
I remember a time when Mom and Dad saved up to get a baseboard heater for their room to make it more cozy and comfortable. It was barely out of the box when I came home with a classmate from college. We were doing a project together and weren’t particularly good friends. She lived in a tiny travel trailer in Flagstaff and had a difficult time keeping it warm. My dad put that heater in her car and hugged my mom. He assured her that he would keep her warm with a twinkly in his crystal blue eyes. Mom struggled with his giving but she never denied that they didn’t do without because of it.
My dad passed away in 1988 and doesn’t often visit me in my dreams. Last night, I had wonderful time with my dad. He sat there and reminded me that I was his darlin’. There was a smile that he said I put on his face with how I am living generously. I assured him that I am who I am because of who he is and was. Dad died richer than his bank account showed. My dad had a joyful laughter over simple things and could get us all rolling on the floor or at the table. Mom would say Harold speak to the girls when we were not behaving. Dad would respond Hello girls how are you doing? Even Mom with her eyebrow raised would begin to snicker and our bad behavior dissolved into a gigglefest.
Dad loved babies and would be so excited to see how my family has multiplied. His heart for me going through infertility was so soft. Watching his darlin’ go through the pain and loneliness was almost more than he could bare. I love that my dad got to hold my boys in his arms. Natalie would have been his love. Dad always asked Cameron what did the bear get out of the tree on his phone calls. Cam would reply honey and be so proud. Dad knew that the replaying of that sweet phrase connected him to his grandson across the miles.
Susi and I drove overnight with three bitty boys when we heard Dad had cancer. When we pulled up to my parent’s home, Dad was outside watering his fruitful garden. He was blown away that we were there and just looked at us through tears and said You girls. He knew the love we had for him from this generous act. A generous act that he taught me and those close to him throughout his life.
Thanks for the visit Dad. Thanks for creating in me a generous heart that strives to be more like you. The same boots that I used to step on to dance in our kitchen are difficult boots to fill. But I am working on it day by day.
In Him,
Joyful
11-14-22

No comments:
Post a Comment