Giving not what I want to give but what others need is intentional giving. Do I give what is easy to give or what costs me time, effort, or those things I value? Do I take the time to figure out what is really needed or do I give what I would like to receive? Getting to know the needs of others is really difficult but also really simple. Just get to know them and then ask them what would be helpful to their circumstance. Too often I get caught up in bright and shiny in my eyes rather than asking and listening to others. Ronnie B is always coaching me on this. For selfish reasons, I dislike wish lists that others put together for birthdays and Christmas. Telling myself that I should consider who they are and get what I know they would like rather than being directed by their carefully thought out choices. It is presumptuous on my part that I think I know what they need more than they do. That doesn’t seem like giving but wanting to pat myself on the back for coming up with the perfect gift. Let me redirect since I seem to be getting off what I wanted to express.
God gave. I need to give. He gives what I need most. Forgiveness, grace, closeness, His only Son to rescue my forever are just His way of loving me. Nothing is bought on Amazon or tied up with a pretty bow. I want to give what others need, not what I think they need. That takes asking and listening. It also takes a willingness to roll up my sleeves and step into do what is necessary. It boils down to God living life with me accepting me for who I am and what I need. That is how I want to live my life. Being there for others, living life with them and doing whatever I can to support them.
That is not to say that I only give to those who I have an intimate relationship with. I can let a mom with a cranky toddler go before me in the checkout line. Being aware of complete strangers needs and filling in with simple acts of kindness is important to who I want to be. A clerk at our grocery store gave my two year old grandson a piece of candy. His reply was Thank you so much. It melted her heart that his response to her kindness was so grateful. Often when I see someone making a difference with their smile or kindness where they are, I run out to the car and sign my book for them. My book is not the gift. Most will probably never read it. When I sign the book and share the impact they are having with their positive nature, that is the gift. Recognizing the impact they are having on others throughout their normal day.
Thank you for reading my meandering thoughts. What I hope to get across is a transformation in myself. Give to give not to improve my image or to be thanked by others. Selfless giving is my goal. Really giving from my heart and being willing to do what is needed for others. This will take some practice and grace for myself as I shift to selflessness.
In Him,
Joyful
11-11-22
Selfless giving and also thoughtful giving are goals we can embrace, especially as we are followers of Christ. Nice post.
ReplyDelete