Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Honored to have Taught as my Career


 Today is the first day of school for children and their teachers. The nervousness and excitement of a new year and a fresh start is in the air. Today I am praying for those who are all dressed up and enthusiastic. This year and for the past few years I have watched from the sidelines on the first day of school. But oh I remember all those days as a student, a mom and a teacher. What a privilege to have teachers pour into me and my children and an honor to be a teacher who got to pour into families. 

I used to think of my career as lesser believing society that teaching was not as important as other careers. Now I recognize that it is not only as important but is an opportunity to impact the lives of students and their families for more than just a single year. Reflecting on how a teacher made you confident by believing in you gives you the courage to stretch to reach your goals. Those arms who embrace you when you are bullied or stand up for you when you get knocked on your butt still matter years later when life punches you in the throat. A teacher has the ability to build up or tear down. Most cherish every opportunity to support and encourage. As with any profession there are a few bad apples in education. But for the most part people go into education to positively impact kids. Yes, I truly believe that. 


I wrote a paper in the first grade that I was going to be a teacher. It was always my dream. Now as I look back on the lives who I got to touch and that have touched me, I could not be prouder or more filled with joy for the opportunities I had to connect with families through education. Sitting here today, all the stress of standards and long hours fade as the smiles and hugs of kiddos come to my memory. Those kids who were at the time the toughest reached my heart the most. How I pray that they smile if and when they think of me as someone who cherished them along their journey to adulthood. 

In Him,

Joyful

8-7-24

1 comment: