Saturday, August 3, 2024

Reflect on my Reflection First

 Did you ever consider that others are always watching us? After all, we are always watching them. Yes it is true that we focus the most on ourselves and worry that others will notice our flaws. But the truth is they do. We do. Unfortunately, we tend to focus on what is wrong not what is right. That spinach in their teeth rather than the smile in their eyes. We are all guilty of this and strive to see the good in others rather than the negatives. But it has to be intentional to really shift our focus. 

Last night, I was sitting chatting with a friend and I was commenting on a mutual friends annoying habit that contorts her face. What a horrible feeling to know just how ugly my thoughts and words were about someone else. It haunted me all night along with the words my friend said next. She asked what annoying thing she did and tried to think of my habits that bugged her. She told me I too often tell other people what they should do. She said you need to rid your vocabulary of the word should. That hurt my feelings but I recognize that she is right. My being judgemental of others leads me to see where I thin they should change rather than focusing on what I need to change. Michael Jackson said it best when he wrote I’m starting with the man in the mirror asking him to change his ways. My wrong was hurtful hers was just a facial tic. How dare I focus on her rather than on myself. 


The truth is we all need to continue to strive to change our attitude toward others. I guess the good news is that I recognized my wrong and will strive to shift my heart to more positive thoughts of others. This morning I sat down and wrote ten things that were glowing about this lady and I will apologize to my friend I was with last night and ask her to hold me accountable for my words in the future. Yes, I think she should do that. Maybe I need to print this picture and tape it to my bathroom mirror as a reminder that my thoughts and words matter. And that mine our the ones that I have control over. 

In Him,
Joyful
8-3-24



No comments:

Post a Comment