Monday, August 26, 2024

Ron Barber Called and Mom Dropped the Phone

 

“If Ron Barber calls tell him where I am Mom.” Those are the words I said as I was running out the door my whole junior year at Coconino. Mom just rolled her eyes since she was not quite sure there even was a Ron Barber. When he called the last week of school while I was at the final dance of the year, she about dropped the phone. Here we are fifty-one years later and Ronnie B still calls me. Sometimes he calls to ask if I need anything at the store but the calls I like best are when he is sharing a beautiful sunset or just letting me know he is thinking of me. 

This weekend at our fiftieth high school reunion I felt privileged to attend with my high school sweetheart, lifelong love and best friend. We had such a fabulous time catching up with classmates and just being there together. It warmed my heart when our eyes met across the room or he took my hand in his. We danced to songs that we danced to back on that night he found me at the school dance after Mom told him where I was. We have been holding onto one another ever since. We both are so thankful to have had one another on life’s journey building a family and friendships that have filled our lives with love and laughter. 

Ron is the adventurous one and my life has been filled with escapades I would never have had the courage to embark on without him by my side. Who knows what lies in store for us between now and our sixtieth reunion? What I do know is that we will enjoy all the good times, cling to one another through the hard ones, and believe that in all things God holds us in His arms. 

Someone asked if we would go back to our eighteen year old selves if we could. Ummm no. We love where we are in life right here, right now together. Heck, we even embrace our crepey skin and silver locks. Just look at us. We are more gorgeous, blessed and happier than we were in high school. Ronnie B wrote in my yearbook Keep cooking and looking good and I will stick around. Well I don’t cook as much as I used to but I certainly felt beautiful next to my prince hurdler. 

In Him,

Joyful

8-26-24

No comments:

Post a Comment